Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Brian's Review - Quarantine


Time to update your vaccinations.

Released: 2008
Genre(s): Horror, Thriller, Sci-Fi

America has a habit of taking other countries' awesome ideas and giving them the Hollywood remake treatment, often to the entire world's chagrin. While not all repackaging attempts fail, those that do fail so hard that I audibly groan (or swear) when I see a new one being advertised. Combine that with the standard of awfulness set by "found footage"-style films and you can easily see why "Quarantine" immediately climbed to the top of my "Looks Too Stupid to Give a Chance" list. And there it stayed for almost four whole years until I saw it at the library and my morbid curiosity kicked in (what can I say? I'm a sucker for free movies). While many sources tell me that the original Spanish film "REC" (sometimes stylized as "[REC]" or "[Rec]") is far superior and far scarier than this remake, I have to say that I honestly enjoyed most of what "Quarantine" had to offer (although if "REC" is supposedly a better movie, I'll definitely have to check that out soon).

Set almost completely in a dark apartment building, this spin on the zombie survival sub-genre intelligently utilizes its environment to produce some intensely claustrophobic encounters with the ravenous menaces stalking those unfortunate enough to still be alive during this nightmare. The film does a nice job of building up tension before delivering some solid nerve-blasting jolts - all without relying on a corny or predictable soundtrack. In fact, the only audio in the entire movie is the sound of terrified screaming/crying from the survivors, enraged shrieking from the zombie-tenants as they hunt down said survivors, and occasionally the squishy sounds of some poor sap being disemboweled. The experience becomes a daunting test of bravery as abandoned apartment rooms quickly transform from silent, dark sanctuaries into echoing caverns of bone-chilling chaos without a single warning. I'm not a huge fan of the jump-scare, but it's employed here quite effectively. The creature effects are commendably creepy as well, with the zombies looking more like diseased, emaciated (and terrifyingly fast) horrors than clumsy, shambling, B-movie corpses.

The biggest issue I had with this flick is a common one among horror entries (and one that will probably never be truly fixed by the industry): protagonists being idiots. If I had a bottle of mouthwash for every time I've seen a moronic survivor cluelessly reach out to touch a person who is clearly already an effing zombie, I'd be the town drunk. "Quarantine" seems eager to fit in with the rest, falling guilty of this, as well as many other mindless clichés. It's the type of film that really doesn't want its characters to survive, and doesn't give a damn about whether you do or not. In fact, it's easier to not care about their mortality when they're acting like a bunch of brainless children who got into dad's private stash of cocaine from the '80s. Carelessly running around while screaming and making generally dumb decisions means you can become zombie food for all I care.

Overall, the flick pulls itself together into something that shocks, rattles, and unsettles to an adequate degree. It's not a masterpiece (as I'm told of "REC" - review pending), but it's a pretty decent remake, especially given its gimmicky composition. I'd definitely recommend it over the slew of subpar filth that makes up similar entries in the sub-genre. If you live in an apartment, you can even use "Quarantine" as a guide on what not to do in the middle of a zombie attack inside a shared residential building. Added bonus!

Rating (out of 5): 3

No comments:

Post a Comment